How to help our Montgomery neighbors
Montgomery Neighbors in Need.
As a voice in the Montgomery community, we’d like to share the latest information on the Montgomery County fires and on how to help. Below, is the most recent update from the Montgomery County United Way. The following text includes:
- Latest damage statistics
- Finding shelter
- Volunteering and where/what to donate
- Counseling resources
- Insurance resources
MONTGOMERY COUNTY WILD FIRES
RESPONSE AND RECOVERY
UPDATE SEPTEMBER 7, 2011
There have been two fire fronts in Montgomery County: the Tamina area in South Montgomery County and the Magnolia/West Montgomery County area. The fire in Montgomery County has burned a combined total of 7,000 acres. To date, the Montgomery County has evacuated at total 4,000 homes with many being allowed back in their homes. However, an additional 800 homes are being evacuated in Montgomery County Monday evening. Approximately 100 people are being sheltered at Magnolia High School. Current estimates of fire damage is that 4 homes have burned and 12 outbuildings/barns. Information:
- UPDATED: Shelter: American Red Cross has relocated the shelter to Wildwood Methodist Church located at 8911 FM 1488, Magnolia.
- Clothing/Immediate Needs:
- Please contact the American Red Cross at 281.465.9384 for assistance.
- NEW: Living Waters Assembly of God is giving out donated clothing Thursday and Friday from 10:00 am to 6:00 pm and Saturday from 9:00 am to noon. They are located at 622 Commerce Street, Magnolia, TX 77353.
- NEW: Disaster Behavioral Health Counseling and Crisis Stabilization Services: Being evacuated because of a wild fire is a traumatic experience and everyone – including children – response to the stresses it cuases differently. Tri-County Services is ready to help people through the mental stresses that people experience. Call their crisis hotline number 1.800.659.6994 to talk with a counselor or for any mental health emergency.
- Insurance: the Texas Department of Insurance reminds people to check their house and car for damage once it is safe to do so. Contact your insurance agent or company promptly to report damage. Follow up immediately with a written claim to protect your rights under Texas’ prompt-payment law.
- If you do not have your insurance policy information, TCI’s Consumer Helpline at 1-800-252-3439 can help you locate your agent or insurance company. Your agent and carrier should have copies of your insurance information.
- For more information related to your insurance, call TDI’s Consumer Help Line at 1-800-252-3439 or visit the TDI website at www.tdi.texas.gov . There is also a Wildfire Resource Page: https://www.tci.texas.gov/consumer/storms/cpmdisfire.html
- Pets: Montgomery County Animal Shelter will handle displaced animals. Please call 936.442.7738 to request assistance.
Donations: Due to the continuing developing situation, cash donations are preferred.
- Monetary Donations:
- Montgomery County United Way has set up a fund for monetary donation that will be use to help victims of these fires in Montgomery County. You can send your checks to Montgomery County United Way, P. O. Box 8965, The Woodlands, TX 77387. Please note “Fires 2011” in the memo line. To make a credit card donation, please call 888.825.6289 ext. 235 or go online to https://www.mcuw.org and click on “Give Now”.
- American Red Cross is also accepting monetary donations to help with their sheltering efforts and to help with the immediate needs of the fire victims. You can make a donation online at https://www.houstonredcross.org and click on “Donate Now”.
- In Kind Donations of Clothing and Household Items:
- NEW: Donated items needed: The Tomball Fire Department is collecting the following donations for personnel fighting the fires and people evacuated from their homes: Antacids, sunglasses, safety goggles, face masks, eye wash, gum, 12 packs of soda, white tee shirts, and socks. Please drop your donations off at 1200 Rudel, Tomball, TX 77375.
- Accepting Donations: Living Waters Assembly of God Church in Magnolia taking donation of clothing and small household items from 10:00 am to 6:00 pm beginning Wednesday, September 7, 2011. They will begin distributing on Thursday, September 8, 2011. The church’s phone number is 281.356.1687 and they are located at 622 Commerce Street in Magnolia.
- Donations can also be posted on https://www.HelpOurCounty.org . Click on the “Donate Goods” Button, and then register yourself. Once registered, click on “GiftMatch” and fill in the online form regarding your donation. If you have multiple household items, please fill out one form per item. MCUW staff will monitor donations to connect them with the appropriate distribution point.
- Volunteers can look for opportunities related to the fires on https://www.HelpOurCounty.org . Click on the “Volunteer” Button, and then register yourself. Once registered, click on “Opportunities” and search for “Fires 2011 Volunteers” or other Fire related opportunities. MCUW staff will connect you with the appropriate opportunity as volunteer needs are requested.