Houston Neighborhood Spotlight: The Heights
Houston Heights is just Northwest of Downtown and is a distinct area full of beautiful, charming and historic neighborhoods dating back as far as the late 1800’s. Given the delightful architecture, rich arts culture, streets lined with eclectic shops, a full events calendar, and delicious foodie destinations, this is a neighborhood spotlight, we can hardly wait to share! In addition to the daily adventures, there’s many more to be had with special events that bring groups many times a year to enjoy a night out on the town!
Things to do & places to see:
- White Linen Night in the Heights—Started in 2006, this annual event takes place at the beginning of August and draws thousands of locals and visitors alike! Participants wear their favorite white linens and celebrate up and down 19th Street in the Houston Heights. Local businesses have sidewalk sales, vendors pitch tents, there’s live music, food and drink for all to enjoy an evening of fun and dancing! This is an event that you don’t want to miss!
- Lights in the Heights—Each year, the Houston Heights neighborhood lights up for an evening of fun for the whole family! Neighbors’ spend countless hours preparing their homes and properties for this festival of lights that draws countless crowds each year to admire the splendor! You can expect impromptu concerts on folks’ front porches, private parties, choirs, and so much more. Stroll the neighborhood all while enjoying some holiday spirits or hot chocolate! This year’s refreshments are hosted by Sonoma Wine Bar.
Food to eat:
- DownHouse— Imagine a place that serves professionally executed specialty coffee, a chef-driven menu, and quality focused craft cocktails. That’s the mission of DownHouse—to have a truly unique environment for all to enjoy, while also offering some of the things people love but can never find in the same place! Prized for their locally sourced menu and award-winning cocktails, The DownHouse does not disappoint as your next brunch or SundayFunday destination!
- Coltivare— This neighborhood restaurant serves up rustic Italian cuisine with a twist of Gulf Coast. This farm-to table eatery bases their dishes around Houston’s optimal growing seasons and they freshly harvest their ingredients daily from their backyard garden. Fresh has never tasted so good!
- Good Dog Houston—More than likely, this is unlike anywhere you’ve ever been before! Good Dog Houston serves up top quality texas-made hotdogs on local artisan buns and gourmet condiment combinations that don’t quit! They were recently just named among the Top 100 Houston restaurants by the Houston Chronicle. Their menu items are that “Doggone” good!
Whether you’re an H. Town native or just planting your roots , we hope you find as much enjoyment out of visiting the Houston Heights as we do! We’re so very proud to call this city home and share all of the great neighborhoods with you!