How to Move After a Divorce: The Ultimate Guide
It’s finally over. After months – or years – of stress, arguments, and tears, you’re finally divorced. The prospect of starting fresh in a new home may be daunting, but it can also be very exciting.
If you’re wondering how to move after a divorce, don’t worry – we’ve got you covered. In this blog post, we’ll give you tips on how to pack up your belongings, ways to cope with the transition, and things to consider when moving. Let’s get started!
Coping Through Your Divorce
Dealing with divorce can be difficult, regardless of how long it’s been since the initial split. So before even jumping into how to move out, here are a few ways you can cope after the big breakup.
- Create A Support System: Sometimes, the best way to cope with a difficult situation is by having a good support system. If you don’t have friends or family who can help you through this stressful time, consider looking into local divorce support groups that meet regularly. This will be an excellent place to make new friends and talk through your problems with people who understand what you’re going through.
- Go To Counseling: If you feel like you need more help coping with your divorce, consider going to counseling. This will allow you to talk through your feelings and emotions with a professional who can offer guidance and support.
- Focus On Self-Care: It’s vital that you take care of yourself during and after a divorce. This means making time for things that make you happy, such as exercise, relaxation techniques, and spending time with friends and family.
- Invest In New Hobbies Or Activities: When you’re going through a tough time, it can be helpful to invest in new hobbies or activities. This will help keep your mind busy and distracted from the negative thoughts that tend to pop up during difficult times. Try picking up a new hobby such as painting, hiking, or cooking.
- Give Yourself Grace: Finally, make sure that you give yourself grace throughout this process. Divorce is never easy, so it’s essential to be kind and patient with yourself during this time.
Checklist: Things To Do Before Moving Out
While you’re probably ready to get out of the house and start your new life, there are some obstacles you’ll want to overcome before leaving altogether to ensure there are no further complications. Here are a few things you’ll want to complete before starting your moving plans:
✔️ Settle Big Legal Issues
If you have any outstanding legal issues with your ex-spouse – such as child custody or alimony disputes – it’s essential to resolve them before moving. Not only will this make the move less stressful, but it will also eliminate potential roadblocks down the line.
✔️ Figure Out Your Budget
It’s essential to figure out your budget before moving and ensure that you can afford the place you’re moving into. Plus, moving costs can definitely add up, and you don’t want to be caught off-guard by unexpected expenses.
✔️ Contact A Moving Company
It’s often best to hire a moving company when relocating, as they can take care of all the heavy lifting for you. Plus, you’ll likely save time and energy – something you’ll definitely need during this stressful time. A great place to start is our preferred partner list.
✔️ Store Away Your Belongings
If you’re moving into a smaller home or apartment, chances are it won’t be able to fit everything in your current home. Rather than forcing some items into storage that doesn’t fit properly – or getting rid of perfectly good furniture – consider renting a storage unit. This way, all of your belongings will remain safe and secure as you adjust to your new life.
✔️ Contact Companies About Your Change Of Address
It’s essential to notify your bank, credit card companies, insurance providers, utility providers, doctors, subscriptions, and other important institutions of your change of address. This will ensure that you don’t miss any important mail or bills during the transition period.
✔️ Open Separate Bank Accounts
It’s generally a good idea to open separate bank accounts if you haven’t already, as they can help prevent disputes over money in the future. This is especially helpful when paying off bills and other financial issues after moving out. Likewise, make sure to close out any joint accounts you previously held with your ex-spouse.
Checklist: Things To Do On Moving Day
Now that you’ve completed all the necessary tasks before moving, it’s time for the big day! Here are a few things you’ll want to do on moving day:
✔️ Hire A Babysitter Or Pet Sitter
If you have young children or pets, it’s essential to have someone to take care of them on moving day. This will allow you to focus on the move without having to worry about your little ones.
✔️ Clear Out Your Day
Moving is definitely a time-consuming process, so it’s best to clear your day entirely in order to get everything done. This will allow you to ensure that you have time to pack everything up, get it into the moving truck and unpack your stuff at your new home without rushing.
✔️ Check Each Room Of The House Before Leaving
Make sure to do one final sweep of your home before leaving. This will ensure that you don’t accidentally leave behind important items or belongings – such as valuable jewelry, tax documents, and more.
✔️ Inspect Moved Items For Damages
When you hire a moving company, they’ll pack up your home and unload everything in rooms as directed. While you might be eager to start unpacking right away, it’s essential to begin by inspecting all moved items for damages. If you notice there are any issues, you’ll want to report them right away to your moving company to make a claim.
✔️ Unpack One Room At A Time
Instead of unpacking everything in your new home all at once, it’s best to unpack one room at a time. This way, you can ensure that everything is placed correctly and put away without worrying about moving things twice. Start with the most important rooms, such as the bedroom and living room, and move your way through the home to unpack.
Get The Help You Need With Amazing Spaces Storage Solutions
If you’re in the process of moving after a divorce and need some extra help, Amazing Spaces Storage Solutions is here to assist you! We offer secure and climate-controlled storage units that can accommodate any size or type of item.
Our secure storage solutions offer a piece of mind during one of life’s most stressful events. We aim to be a source of calm and are here to help you every step of the way. Contact us today to learn more about our services and how we can help make your move a little bit easier!